Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Another recipe from Mom's Grey Cookbook posted for posterities sake. This is a dish brought to a Family Reunion by our Second Cousin Caroline. Mom loved em so much there wasn't a family get together that she didn't make them for us.
- 2 lbs dried navy beans, soaked overnight in water
- 1 lb butter or 1 lb margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle catsup
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- Rinse Beans and boil for 1 hour or until done. Pour off excess water, add remaining ingredients.
- Bake for three hours or until done.
This was a great additional to last nights dinner with BBQ chicken. The flavors come together beautifully and this dish is absolutely delicious! I also added crispy bacon in the mix. Terric ChaCha! I'll be making this again! Made for KK's Chef's Pick Tag
This is so good! Just delicious! Actually, mine were done in about 2 1/2 hrs. but I think my oven bakes a little hotter than normal. I did chop my onions, and I had 2 strips of bacon left from breakfast, so they went in to the pot also. Really good Nif! Thanks for posting! Made for Chef's Pick event in one of KK's forums.