Recipe by KLHquilts
Our version of comfort food! If you prefer stronger flavors, add more garlic or try a stronger-tasting cheese.
Top Review by mindynicole7
SO FLAVORFUL. I was pleasantly surprised at how much flavor this little dish contained. My husband, who doesn't like anything I make had 4 bowls of it and told me 2 times that he liked it. I didn't have pine nuts and I added marinated artichokes. It was delish! I am going to make it as a side dish to garlic chicken fingers (recipe # 56453) next time. Thanks for sharing.
- 236.59 ml dry couscous (try whole wheat)
- 354.88 ml boiling water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 3-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 118.29 ml minced fresh basil
- 78.07 ml pine nuts
- 1182.95 ml loosely packed fresh spinach
- 236.59 ml grated muenster cheese (try reduced fat)
- 2.46-4.92 ml cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add couscous and salt to boiling water. Cover and let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute garlic and onion for ten minutes, or until tender.
- Drain canned tomatoes, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Add drained tomatoes to garlic and onions. Cook 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir tomato mixture into couscous. Mix in reserve tomato juice, basil, pine nuts, raw spinach and pepper.
- Spread half of the couscous mixture in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle muenster evenly, then top with remaining couscous mixture.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.