Recipe by ~Leslie~
This recipe is another Lucy Waverman recipe from Food and Drink Magazine. She says "It's good luck to have 7 vegetables in a CousCous Dish". Hmmm....maybe coriander is the 7th veggie? So I guess this will be a lucky recipe, enjoy! ;) Use vegetable stock to make this a vegetarian dish.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Loved this, although I knew I would after reading the ingredient list! I have to admit, I messed this up a bit, but I still thought it came out great, so this is what I did: I used one whole small zucchini, and about half a cup of the carrot. I couldn't find any frozen diced turnip, and I didn't want to deal with cutting up a whole fresh turnip myself, so I added some frozen cut butternut squash instead. The rest of the veggies were measured as written. Because of the added veggies, it seemed as though I wouldn't have enough broth to properly soften the couscous, so I added a half-cup extra broth. I only had Israeli toasted couscous (larger grains) in the house, and it was still pretty chewy after 5 minutes of standing, so I put it back on the heat for about another 5 minutes. By this time, most of the squash chunks had dissolved into the couscous and became almost sauce-like. I didn't end up with dry fluffy couscous, but it was still delicious and the spicing was perfect. I served it with Recipe#428754. At some point, I would like to try it again (not messed up, of course, lol), and I"ll certainly give this a proper review when I do. At the moment, though, I just wanted to let you know that your recipe is delicious even when messed up, lol! Sorry, and thanks for posting :)! Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6 NA*ME
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced turnip
- 1⁄2 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced zucchini
- 2 cups couscous
- 1⁄2 cup fresh peas or 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Heat chicken stock in a pot over medium heat. Add cumin, paprika, black pepper, cinnamon and turmeric and simmer together for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, turnips, red pepper, peas and zucchini and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Turn heat to high and bring to boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Season with salt and sprinkle with coriander.