1/1 Photo of Couscous With Sautéed Mushrooms
Couscous is a quick and easy side dish. This version uses vegetable broth but I'm sure it would be lovely with chicken or beef broth as well. This particular combination of ingredients just happened to be what I had in the pantry--feel free to make substitutions to suit what's in YOUR cupboards!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or try beef or chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed (or crushed and chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 cup sliced mushrooms (I used white button, but feel free to try more exotic varieties)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped (or parsley or whatever you have for a nice fresh green "finish")
- 1In a small pot with tight fitting lid bring 1-1/2 cups broth to boil.
- 2Add 1 cup couscous.
- 3Stir until broth returns to boil, cover with lid, remove from heat and let sit (covered) for at least five minutes.
- 4Heat olive oil and butter in pan on medium high heat.
- 5Add mushrooms and onions, and a dash of salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-5 minutes.
- 6Add garlic and bell peppers and sauté for an additional 5 minutes until mushrooms are nicely browned and onion and peppers are tender.
- 7Clear a spot in the middle of the pan and heat pine nuts, let them get a little brown if you like, it will bring out more of their flavour. (Or toast them separately - I'm just too lazy!).
- 8Fluff hot cooked couscous with a fork, mix in sautéed mushrooms etc. Top with chives. Enjoy! (We love this recipe with grilled chicken thighs or steak, but it's a great addition to a meatless/vegetarian dinner as well!).
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous With Sautéed Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.0
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 43.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: