Recipe by NorthwestGal
I saw Ina Gartner, the Barefoot Contessa, preparing this dish during the "Friends of Friends" episode of her show.
Top Review by I'mPat
I scaled this back for 2 serves and as the only side it filled 3 of us more than adequately. The only changes I made was to use olive oil instead of butter and use sultanas in place of the currants otherwise made to recipe and think using the chicken stock added a nice flavour instead of using water. Thank you NorthwestGal, made for All You Can Eat Buffet.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped shallot (3 to 4 shallots)
- 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts (pignolis)
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook them over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Stir in the couscous, cover the pan, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the pine nuts, currants, and parsley and fluff with a fork to combine. Serve hot.