1/1 Photo of Couscous With Pine Nuts and Currants
This side dish is super easy to make yet seems sophisticated. I created this recipe in an attempt to duplicate a delicious couscous Whole Foods had in their prepared foods section. I used a Food Network recipe to adapt from and made it healthier and vegetarian (also vegan!) by using whole wheat couscous, vegetable broth, and Earth Balance vegan butter. Original Recipe from Ina Garten: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/moroccan-couscous-recipe/index.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add chopped shallot and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- 2Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Once boiling remove from heat and add couscous. Give it a quick stir and cover. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes.
- 3While it's sitting toast pine nuts. Put the pine nuts in a small pan and cook over low-medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until the nuts are fragrant. Shake the pan around a few times too.
- 4Lastly, add the pine nuts and currants to the couscous and stir to combine everything.
- 5* TIP - You can buy the pine nuts and currants in the bulk section of Whole Foods or some supermarkets so that way you don't have to get more than need.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous With Pine Nuts and Currants
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 146.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth
whole wheat couscous