This side dish is super easy to make yet seems sophisticated. I created this recipe in an attempt to duplicate a delicious couscous Whole Foods had in their prepared foods section. I used a Food Network recipe to adapt from and made it healthier and vegetarian (also vegan!) by using whole wheat couscous, vegetable broth, and Earth Balance vegan butter. Original Recipe from Ina Garten: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/moroccan-couscous-recipe/index.html
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add chopped shallot and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Once boiling remove from heat and add couscous. Give it a quick stir and cover. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes.
- While it's sitting toast pine nuts. Put the pine nuts in a small pan and cook over low-medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until the nuts are fragrant. Shake the pan around a few times too.
- Lastly, add the pine nuts and currants to the couscous and stir to combine everything.
- * TIP - You can buy the pine nuts and currants in the bulk section of Whole Foods or some supermarkets so that way you don't have to get more than need.
Although I passed on the vegan butter, the rest of the ingredients I used were as given, & we had a very nicely flavorful couscous, something well worth making again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adpoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]