1/4 Photos of Couscous With Moroccan Spices
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
A nicely flavored couscous from The New Vegetarian Epicure. Posted for ZWT III, North Africa and the Middle East.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, lightly toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups light vegetable broth
- 3 small tomatoes, peeled and pureed
- 1/3 cup dried currant
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice (lime may be used instead)
- 1Heat olive oil in a non stick pan and cook the chopped onion and garlic in it till the onion is soft and translucent.
- 2Stir in the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne and paprika.
- 3Continue stirring over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add vegetable broth, tomato puree and currants.
- 4Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
- 5Remove the sauce from heat and stir in fresh lemon (or lime) juice to your taste.
- 6If not using immediately and planning to reheat before serving, wait to add citrus juice at the last minute.
- 7To cook the couscous, heat the broth, water, butter and salt together in a medium skillet till the liquid boils.
- 8Reduce to a simmer, add the couscous, cover the skillet tightly and leave on the lowest heat for 5 minutes.
- 9Remove the pan from the heat an leave it covered for another couple of minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- 10(If using instant couscous, check package directions - you may not need to keep it on heat after boiling, but just cover and wait till liquid is absorbed - just see if liquid amounts match what is mentioned on the package).
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous With Moroccan Spices
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.4
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 167.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: