Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This easy and simple couscous is a perfect side for a tagine. if you don't like the flavor of cilantro, try using fresh mint or parsley. For added flavor use broth for the water.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and turmeric; stir 1 minute.
- Add water, lemon zest, and coarse salt; bring to boil.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in couscous. Cover; let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork; mix in cilantro and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
This was rather bland for me. I added chopped tomatoes to add a little more flavor. Maybe chicken broth instead of water would add more flavor.
I love the simplicity of this couscous and anything with lemon gets my vote. Made for ZWT #9.
I used this as the side to Recipe#427734 tonight. Very lemony (which we liked), but a little bit bland in comparison to the steak tips. I would definitely make this again, but I think I would serve it with a more mildly flavored main. Thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers for ZWT9