Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
couscous with aubergine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shallots or 1 tablespoon scallion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 cup eggplant, diced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup couscous, precooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the shallots, onions, turmeric, coriander, eggplant, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until wilted, but do not brown.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, add the couscous and blend well.
- Cover tightly, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and lemon juice, stir and blend with a fork to separate the grains.
- Keep warm.
Fantastic! I scaled this down to 1 serving since I'm the only one at home who likes eggplant. I didn't have shallots so I used a total of 1 tablespoon of onions. I also used 1/2 cup water and peppered the final product generously. This is the first time I've used couscous, and I definitely will make this again!
I hate to give this kind of rating and seldom do but the first time ever, I followed the recipe exactly as stated and we totally disliked it. I tried to salvage the dryness and lack of taste by adding balsamic vinegar (lots!) which helped things but didn't rectify it. I keep going over the recipe in my mind to see where I may have forgotten a step...but I didn't. Wanted to love this one (and had an eggplant to use) but just didn't.
This is yummy. The eggplant part freezes well, too! When you are ready to serve, all you have to do is make the couscous!