From an old Gourmet magazine, this dish serves 16 but can be cut in half to make a family side dish that will last for leftovers!
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot
- two 10-ounce boxes couscous (about 3 1/4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1 cup shelled natural pistachios, toasted lightly, cooled, and chopped coarse
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- In each of two 3-quart saucepans bring half of water, oil, cinnamon, cumin, salt, and apricots to a boil. Stir 1 box couscous into each pan and let stand, covered, off heat 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to 2 shallow baking pans to cool as quickly as possible. Cool couscous completely and with your fingers break up any large lumps. Couscous may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring couscous to room temperature before proceeding.
- Fluff couscous with fork again and stir in currants, pistachios, mint, and salt and pepper to taste.