Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com, and altered it slightly, using lemon juice instead of vinegar. This is an unbelievably simple recipe that puts together the friendly flavours of couscous, chickpeas, plum tomatoes, and cucumbers, accompanied with the tang of lemon! This is great for quick meals when there's no time to spare!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (plum)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice or 1⁄4 teaspoon white vinegar
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in couscous, and remove from heat.
- Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix couscous and garbanzo beans.
- Toss in tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Stir olive oil and lemon juice (or vinegar) into the mixture.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
This was WONDERFUL!!! I am a big fan of couscous and love vegetables so this dish really hit the spot for me!! I used fresh lemon juice instead of the vinegar and that too makes all the difference in the world. I added a tad more garlic to it. This is a great dish to keep on hand in the refrigerator when the "hungries" hit or to serve as a side dish.
As advertised: quick, tasty, healthy. I, too, used lemon juice and a bit of bottled garlic. Will make again for lunch. P.S. Gave it a 4 just because it isn't a Wowie recipe for me, but a really good one that I'll use.
What a beautifully easy and light side dish! I altered it a little by cooking the couscous in chicken stock, used the juice from half of a large lemon, and threw in a whack of fresh parsley. It was still great the next day, slightly reheated and spruced up with a little more lemon juice. Thanks Anu, I will certainly make this again!