Recipe by Anu
I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com, and altered it slightly, using lemon juice instead of vinegar. This is an unbelievably simple recipe that puts together the friendly flavours of couscous, chickpeas, plum tomatoes, and cucumbers, accompanied with the tang of lemon! This is great for quick meals when there's no time to spare!
Top Review by Merlot
This was WONDERFUL!!! I am a big fan of couscous and love vegetables so this dish really hit the spot for me!! I used fresh lemon juice instead of the vinegar and that too makes all the difference in the world. I added a tad more garlic to it. This is a great dish to keep on hand in the refrigerator when the "hungries" hit or to serve as a side dish.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (plum)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice or 1⁄4 teaspoon white vinegar
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in couscous, and remove from heat.
- Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix couscous and garbanzo beans.
- Toss in tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Stir olive oil and lemon juice (or vinegar) into the mixture.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.