Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Couscous cooks almost instantly, so it makes a great base for any saucy dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup instant couscous
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until well browned. Flip the chicken and brown it on the other side, another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Meanwhile, bring 1 1/4 cups of the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. When the water boils, add the couscous, about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir quickly, cover, and remove from the heat. Let the couscous sit for about 5 minutes. After you move the chicken to a plate, add the remaining 1/2 cup broth and the cream to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, using a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bots off the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and thyme, and simmer for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fluff the couscous with a fork and transfer it to a serving platter. Place the chicken breasts on top of the couscous, and pour the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese over the top, if using. Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Try adding 1/4 cup of chopped fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley, to the couscous.