Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
By adding broad beans and bacon you have a lovely side dish to accompany almost any main course.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 25 g butter
- 6 slices smokey steaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 150 g broad beans, shelled
- 250 g couscous
- 400 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the shallot, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Add the butter, allow to melt, then stir in the beans and couscous and cook for 1 minute, stirring until the couscous is coated in butter.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and remove from the heat, cover and allow to cool for 10 minutes until the grains swell and absorb all the liquid.
- Loosen the grains with a fork and stir through the lemon juice and the corriander.
- Check the seasoning and serve warm or chilled.