Recipe by pammyowl
This couscous recipe is a poor man’s risotto that focuses on the cozy side of green, spring flavor. Israeli (or “pearl”) couscous is a lentil-sized pasta with an equally diminutive cooking time, so it cooks quickly in the reducing stock. Finished with salty cheese and the delicate licorice-flavored chervil, this recipe brings a bowl of yielding, soft flavors and textures of spring. From the Amanda and Merrill website
Top Review by sloe cooker
Delicious! Very nice recipe for couscous. I really enjoyed the fresh asparagus in this dish. The nuts were omitted for preference. I have tried couscous a couple of times before, but wasn't very fond of it. Pammy didn't mention when to add the garlic, I just threw it in in the last minute of toasting the couscous. Glad you shared this recipe and glad I found it! Made in your memory, Pammy. RIP
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 12 ounces asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated pecorino cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pistachios, toasted if desired
- 1⁄4 cup chervil, leaves roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add couscous and cook until partially toasted, 2 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, 2 minutes. Meanwhile, heat broth in a second saucepan until warm.
- Add 1 cup broth to couscous and quickly simmer over medium-high heat until the couscous is silky and the liquid has nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, adding a cup at a time and cooking until each addition has nearly evaporated. Before the last addition, add asparagus to remaining hot broth (about 1 1/2 cups). (Stir asparagus into couscous with last cup of broth.).
- Once couscous is tender and all the broth has been added, stir in Pecorino, pistachios, chervil and remaining butter. Sprinkle servings with additional Pecorino, pistachios and chervil, if desired. Serve immediately.