Recipe by Anu
This is a nutritious, low(non?)-fat veggie main dish that I thought up on my way home from driving class today. So I came home and made this for lunch, and really surprised myself, since it tasted better than I had imagined! The secret ingredient here is cinnamon... don't be afraid to try it!
Top Review by L DJ
My son likes soups or casserole dishes in his lunch. Didn't have either this morning (he'd finished off the casserole I made for dinner). Then I remembered your recipe, and I had all the ingredients. I added toasted walnuts to give it some texture. Glad I doubled the recipe, he came in and wanted a taste. Then proceeded to eat, eat......
- 1 tablespoon lentils, toasted (I use yellow lentils)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup couscous
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter (optional)
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lentils and water in a medium sized pot and bring to a boil over a high flame.
- Reduce flame to low, cover, and simmer.
- After 10 minutes, uncover, add 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste), and the shredded carrots and cabbage.
- Replace cover, and simmer again.
- After 5 more minutes, uncover again, add the frozen peas, cover, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Now remove from flame, drain, and reserve the lentil-veggie water.
- If necessary, add some additional water to bring the reserved water to 3/8 cup quantity.
- In a separate saucepan, bring this water to a boil, add the couscous, stir once, switch off burner, cover, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, uncover, and fluff up the couscous with a fork.
- Toss with 1/2 teaspoon butter, if desired.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick saucepan with cooking spray and saute the onions in it over a medium flame until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the drained lentil-veggie mixture, soy sauce, cinnamon, pepper, paprika and saute on a low flame until the mixture is fairly dry.
- Mix in with the cooked couscous, and eat immediately!