Chef #573036's Note:
From Food and Wine Magazine 1998.Sweet raisins, crunchy nuts, spicy arugula--this couscous salad boasts an interesting array of flavors and textures. We include strips of roasted or smoked turkey to make it a meal, but you can leave them out for a meatless salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups couscous
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 1/2 lbs piece cooked turkey, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 5 ounces arugula, tough stems removed, leaves washed and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous and raisins. Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer the couscous and raisins to a large bowl to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, toast the walnuts over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Or toast the nuts in a 350° oven for 10 minutes. Remove the nuts from the pan and chop them.
- 3In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Add the oil slowly, whisking.
- 4Toss the carrots, the toasted nuts, the turkey, the arugula, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt with the cooled couscous. Toss the salad into the dressing.
- 5Variations:: Substitute three cups of shredded watercress or spinach leaves for the arugula.
- 6Wine Recommendation: It may surprise you to learn that Germany and Austria make good red wines, racy with brilliantly pure berry flavors. Look for Germany's dornfelder or Austria's Zweigelt for a brisk change of pace.
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous Salad With Turkey and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 810.9
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 129.3 mg
- Sodium 741.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 60.4 g