1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Ciocia Laura's Note:
From Delia Smith's TV series "Summertime". This recipe is most forgiving. If you want to stretch it to serve more, add more roasted veggies. It makes a hearty summer lunch, a great starter, a filling winter side dish paired with warm soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces couscous
- 18 ounces vegetable stock
- assorted roasted vegetables, as desired
- 1 fennel bulb, roasted and fronds reserved
- 4 ounces goats' spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs or 4 ounces feta
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 4 tablespoons roasted cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 head lettuce
- 3 cups mesclun
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1Roast desired vegetables in hot oven, 400°F.
- 2Toast cumin seeds in hot, heavy pan. Remove to mortar and pestle when toasted. Grind as desired.
- 3Prepare couscous by covering couscous with hot vegetable stock.
- 4While couscous is plumping, prepare dressing by mixing tomato paste, lime juice, olive oil, cumin seeds and cayenne.
- 5Arrange layer of greens on large plate.
- 6Arrange roasted vegetables plus fennel over greens.
- 7Scatter blobs of goats' cheese over vegetables.
- 8Arrange remaining greens and scatter fennel fronds over the top.
- 9Sprinkle with nigella seeds.
- 10Dress salad at the table.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous Salad With Roasted Vegetables -- Delia Smith
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 71.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs