Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Delia Smith's TV series "Summertime". This recipe is most forgiving. If you want to stretch it to serve more, add more roasted veggies. It makes a hearty summer lunch, a great starter, a filling winter side dish paired with warm soup.
- 10 ounces couscous
- 18 ounces vegetable stock
- assorted roasted vegetables, as desired
- 1 fennel bulb, roasted and fronds reserved
- 4 ounces goats' spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs or 4 ounces feta
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 4 tablespoons roasted cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 head lettuce
- 3 cups mesclun
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- Roast desired vegetables in hot oven, 400°F.
- Toast cumin seeds in hot, heavy pan. Remove to mortar and pestle when toasted. Grind as desired.
- Prepare couscous by covering couscous with hot vegetable stock.
- While couscous is plumping, prepare dressing by mixing tomato paste, lime juice, olive oil, cumin seeds and cayenne.
- Arrange layer of greens on large plate.
- Arrange roasted vegetables plus fennel over greens.
- Scatter blobs of goats' cheese over vegetables.
- Arrange remaining greens and scatter fennel fronds over the top.
- Sprinkle with nigella seeds.
- Dress salad at the table.