From the Kitchn blog. Good, healthy stuff! This salad can be served room temperature or cold. Leftovers will keep refrigerated for up to a week. The original recipe adds 3 oz of goat cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous, uncooked
- 4 -5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -3 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1Pre-heat oven to 425°F
- 2Toss the squash cubes and the onion slices with a bit of olive oil and salt.
- 3Spread them on a baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender and the onions are starting to crisp at the tips, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool before combining with other ingredients.
- 4Cover the cranberries with very hot water and set them aside to plump while the squash is cooking.
- 5Drain before combining with the other ingredients.
- 6Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove the pan from heat, and stir in the couscous and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 7Cover and let sit for about 15 minutes until the couscous has absorbed all the water. Fluff the couscous with a fork and set aside.
- 8In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, zest, spices, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 9Combine squash, onions, couscous, garbanzo beans, and drained cranberries in a large bowl.
- 10Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- 11Taste to check seasoning and add salt if needed.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous Salad With Butternut Squash and Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.8
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 457.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat couscous
white wine vinegar