Recipe by ChrysalisUnfurled
This salad is both healthy AND delicious. Not only that but it is quick to make, yields alot, looks attractive and is even tastier as leftovers. Kids love it as it is virtually a dessert salad. I must give credit to my late Aunt Ruth, from whom I received this recipe.
Top Review by I'mPat
Scaled back for 3-4 serves and then even used less vegies and fruit than the recipe called for and for 3 persons still had a full serve left over, though the DM has claimed than for lunch. Personally though very enjoyable I preferred what I tasted without the dressing so would make without in the future but otherwise a very healthy recipe that got some vegies into my DM which I very grateful for, thank you ChrystalisUnfurled and made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup couscous
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced (can omit)
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricots or 1⁄3 cup papaya, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (284 ml) can mandarin oranges (these are my addition, may want to retain juice) or 1 (284 ml) cansimilar amount pineapple (these are my addition, may want to retain juice)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (can omit)
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (scant)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place couscous in a large bowl, pour 1 cup boiling water over; let stand 5 minutes. In separate bowl, pour remaining boiling water over raisins; let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with fork; drain raisins; stir into couscous. Add chick peas, green onions, red pepper, zucchini, papaya/apricot, mandarin oranges & parsley. Toss gently.
- In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, cumin, turmeric & hot pepper sauce. Gradually whisk in olive oil (you may wish to substitute some of the retained orange/pineapple juice for some of the olive oil). Season to taste with salt & pepper. Pour over salad; toss.
- Cover & refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.