This is based on a recipe from Alessandra Avallone's book, The Complete Book of Salads. I'm always on the lookout for a great couscous salad, and I stumbled upon this recipe which I like a lot.
- In medium saucepan, boil 1 1/4 cups salted water.
- Add turmeric and 1 tablespoon oil, then the couscous.
- Remove from heat, cover, and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Turn the couscous out onto a flat platter and separate grains with a fork.
- Heat 4 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and cumin seeds.
- Add the diced vegetables and saute for 10 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Mix the couscous and vegetables together in a large bowl and stir well.
- Sprinkle with chilli powder or paprika.
Delicious salad. I did add greater quantities of the veggies because we love our summer veggies. I thought the recipe was very flavourful and do have to take issue with Chef Dudo for saying this recipe needed jalapeno or tabasco - it is a Tunisian recipe and complies to that part of the world. Heat is not applied everywhere and to everything!
This is a fab dish either cold, hot or at room temperature. Easy to make with mostly things that are on hand. I did not really change anything, maybe less oil and more veg. We all really enjoyed it. Made for ZWT 9.
We liked it but found it a bit bland. maybe a jalapeno or two would have been nice. Or some tabasco. Used about 1/8 teaspoon turmeric and cut down the oil to one tablespoon. This salad is very colorful and looks very nice, just a little more heat is needed which I will add the next time I make it. Made for PAC Spring '08. Thanks for posting.