Recipe by Tish
Here's another way to use couscous that updates an old favorite:) Don't leave out the grated orange rind!
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups low-fat milk (regular works fine too)
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup couscous, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or 2 tablespoons almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sided bowl, beat together the egg, egg white, and 2 Tbs of the sugar.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine the milk, the remaining 2 Tbs sugar, orange rind, and salt and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Slowly pour the warmed milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly for 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the couscous and cook, stirring constantly, 6 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 6 minutes or until the couscous is tender.
- Stir in the raisins, nuts and vanilla.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.