lady carmichael's Note:
Thanks to Chef Ned Bell and Food Network Canada for this one. I tried it and it's the best way to have couscous. Awesome!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers or 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked couscous
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme
- 2 eggs
- mint (to garnish)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch of crushed saffron thread
- 1Heat oil in pan over medium heat and fry coriander seeds until toasted. Add bell peppers, cayenne and cinnamon and sauté until tender (approximately 4 minutes). Add chicken stock and saffron threads and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let it sit until all the liquid has been absorbed (approximately 10-15 minutes). If the liquid is not fully absorbed after the allotted time, return to low heat and cook until it is fully absorbed. While stirring season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped baby thyme, cover and refrigerate to cool.
- 2When the couscous has cooled, beat the eggs together and fold them into the couscous. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate again for 1/2 hour.
- 3Using your hands, form palm sized pancakes with the mix and place them in a hot, oiled, non-stick skillet. Brown on both sides, remove from pan and place on a paper towel to drain. Continue until all the mixture has been used.
- 4Plate the couscous pancakes with a dollop of saffron cream on top and garnish with mint.
- 5While it cools, make the saffron cream by combining the cream cheese, sour cream and saffron threads in a blender and mix until creamy.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous Pilaf With Saffron Cream
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.4
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 100.9 mg
- Sodium 263.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 12.7 g