Recipe by Latchy
A different way with couscous and a healthy vegetarian dish. It is based on a Family Circle recipe. Prep time includes standing time
- 6 ounces couscous
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 eggplant, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons natural yoghurt (preferably Greek)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil, for shallow frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the couscous in a bowl and add 1 cup (250ml/8fl. oz) of boiling water and leave for 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
- Fluff up with a fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large fry pan and fry the eggplant until soft and golden, then place in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the pan and add the onion, garlic, cumin and ground coriander.
- Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes or until soft, then add to the bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil and cook the capsicum for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Place in the bowl and stir well.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the couscous with the fresh coriander, lemon rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and egg and season to taste and mix well.
- Using damp hands, divide the mixture into four portions and form into large patties, they should be about 2cm thick.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Shallow fry the patties over medium heat for 5 minutes each side.
- Drain well and serve with yoghurt, can mix some mint into it.