Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Similar to Japanese onigiri rice balls, but made with couscous instead!
Make and share this Couscous Onigiri recipe from Food.com.
- Combine all ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute, stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds to one minute, until soy milk starts foaming.
- Remove from microwave and let cool. Press into onigiri molds and place in fridge for one hour. Gently remove from the molds. Done!
- I made these the night before, and they kept their shape overnight and had a wonderful, soft texture when eaten cold the next day.
- NOTE 1: You can vary the flavours significantly by using different types of soy or rice milk, and bu changing the seasoning a little. I made these with vanilla soy milk and cinnamon, but you could use other flavours too.
- NOTE 2: If you do not have onigiri molds, you can use small plastic containers to shape the onigiri, or you can improvise a mold using a cookie cutter, in this fashion:.
- Place the cookie cutters on a plate. Press the couscous into them as you would for a mold, packing the mixture very tightly. Cover the plate with plastic wrap or with a dish cover. Refrigerate as you would for a mold, and proceed as above.