Recipe by COOKGIRl
I'm always thinking up new ways to prepare hot cereal in the morning. Here's another one for you to try! For maximum health benefits, use whole wheat couscous. For a vegan version, try almond milk or soy milk!
Top Review by Outta Here
Delicious start to the day! I love the creaminess this has from cooking the couscous in milk. I used almond extract, toasted almond slices and dried cherries, with honey as a sweetener. Very easy recipe. I love the cardamom flavor. Made for Ramadan 2009 Tag.
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rose water or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit, chopped (dates, raisins, figs, etc.)
- sugar or honey, for sweetening, to taste
- ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds or 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- fresh sliced strawberry (optional)
- milk (optional) or cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the milk to the boil without scorching.
- As soon as the milk starts to boil, stir in the couscous with a fork. Add a pinch of salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on low for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rose water or almond extract.
- Garnish couscous with dried fruit, sugar, cardamom and nuts. If you wish, add a few slices of strawberries to each serving.
- Also, you can pour a little bit of milk or cream on top.
- Serve hot.