1/3 Photos of Couscous Date Cake
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A recipe from Ricardo & Friends.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups pitted and coarsely chopped medjool dates (about 16 dates)
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, lukewarm
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium couscous
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
For the Icing
- 1For the Cake: With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter and flour a 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- 2In a saucepan, bring the water, dates, butter and baking soda to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until lukewarm, about 30 minutes.
- 3In a bowl, combine the flour, couscous and baking powder. Set aside.
- 4In another bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar using an electric mixer until the mixture turns pale, triples in volume and falls from the beaters in a ribbon, about 10 minutes. Using a spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients then the date mixture.
- 5Pour into the springform pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 65 minutes.
- 6Let cool. Run the blade of a thin knife around the inside of the pan. Unmould and let cool on a rack.
- 7For the Icing: In a bowl, beat the sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous Date Cake
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.8
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 150.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 5.5 g