Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is a modification of a contest winner from Near East for original couscous creations. We omitted the green onion for personal tastes. I've only made it once, and it was a little bit bland using just the ingredients below, but was improved by putting some more lime juice on it. We will also try adding more cayenne pepper next time.
- 1 cup couscous, prepared according to package directions
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small diced peeled ripe papaya
- 1 cup shredded spinach
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped smoked salted almond
- Prepare couscous using water or chicken broth (we prefer chicken broth because it's more flavorful).
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Add more lime juice if you want more flavor.
Refreshing and delish. Makes a nice complete meal or a yummy side. I used used Israeli couscous and followed all as called for.