Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a variation of a recipe I've been making for years. I've added the black beans to make it a nice vegetarian dish.
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn kernel, roasted (or use frozen, or canned)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- In 2 quart saucepan, bring broth to boil.
- Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Place couscous in a large bowl.
- Combine olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Gently fold into couscous.
- Add remaining ingredients and fold gently. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour, or overnight.
We enjoyed this. I used parsley instead of cilantro but I didn't think it added much to the dish. I will be sure to try cilantro next time. I also left out the tomatoes which in hindsight took some of the flavor away from the salad, so I will add some next time. I decreased the oil to 1/4 cup, doubled the lime juice, and added 1 tsp. of cumin. There were no leftovers! I will make again--thanks for posting.
I have made a different version of this before, but not for a few years and it seems that author changed the recipe since! This is very close to the original one I had liked. I used a T or so dried cilantro which worked great (I don't love cilantro and this seemed more subtle). I also added about 1/4 C parmesan cheese...sounds odd, but I had tried it before to give just a little more flavor and liked it. Served with tequila lime chicken.
We really liked this. It was a little bland, but I added a diced avocado and that was a good addition. Good leftovers. Great for cookouts and hot summer days.