Recipe by Susan Dillard
This recipe comes from "Simply Classic" by The Junior League of Seattle. It is great for hot summer days, fix it in the morning and dinner is ready whenever you are. I double the amount of currants called for and sometimes leave out the chicken, it is equally good with or without it. It says it serves 6, but I find it serves much more than that, it makes a large amount! The one hour cooking time is for the minimum chill time.
Top Review by LonghornMama
So good! Beautiful, too! Loved the combination of ingredients and seasonings. Halved the recipe to use up some rotisserie chicken. Would be great even without the chicken. Best when made the night before. Fresh lemon juice is a must. Would agree that the servings should be more like 10-12. Great year round, and a nice choice for a pot luck. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 6 chicken breast halves, skinned
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer chicken in stock in a large skillet until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Strain stock and return to skillet.
- Bring stock to a boil and stir in couscous slowly.
- Mix well, cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand until all of the stock is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Once cool, remove to a large bowl.
- Remove chicken from bone and cut up into small pieces.
- Add to bowl with couscous.
- Mix in tomato, green onions, garbanzo beans, red pepper, currants and parsley.
- Dressing: Blend lemon juice, oil, garlic, cumin, curry powder and Tabasco in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix dressing with couscous mixture and toss well.
- Refrigerate before serving, one hour up to one day.
- Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts just before serving.