1 hr 20 mins
From James McNair's Beans and Grains. Colorful salad with sweetness of currants, fresh mint and parsley, pine nuts, red pepper and green onion. Love it! Cook time is standing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, canned,rinsed and drained or 1 1/2 cups dried garbanzo beans, cooked
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- bottled hot sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 2/3 cup dried currant, soaked in hot water until plumped,then drained
- 2/3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion, including tops
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- tomato, pieces,for garnish,if desired
- 1For dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic cumin, hot sauce, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- 2In a large bowl, combine garbanzos, couscous, currants, sweet pepper, onion, mint and parsley and mix well.
- 3Add the dressing and toss to distribute.
- 4Cover and let stand at room temperature for about one hour, or cover tightly and refrigerate for as long as overnight; return to room temperature before serving.
- 5Place the pine nuts in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 6Toast, shaking the pan or stirring frequently, until lightly golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- 7Pour onto a plate to cool.
- 8Mound the salad on a serving dish or individual plates, sprinkle with pine nuts and garnish with tomato pieces.
- 9Serves 6 as main dish or 12 as side dish.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous and Garbanzo Salad
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.0
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 185.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 5.4 g