Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From James McNair's Beans and Grains. Colorful salad with sweetness of currants, fresh mint and parsley, pine nuts, red pepper and green onion. Love it! Cook time is standing time.
- 3 cups garbanzo beans, canned,rinsed and drained or 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans, cooked
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- bottled hot sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup dried currant, soaked in hot water until plumped,then drained
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion, including tops
- 1⁄2 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- tomatoes, pieces,for garnish,if desired
- For dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic cumin, hot sauce, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine garbanzos, couscous, currants, sweet pepper, onion, mint and parsley and mix well.
- Add the dressing and toss to distribute.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for about one hour, or cover tightly and refrigerate for as long as overnight; return to room temperature before serving.
- Place the pine nuts in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Toast, shaking the pan or stirring frequently, until lightly golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Pour onto a plate to cool.
- Mound the salad on a serving dish or individual plates, sprinkle with pine nuts and garnish with tomato pieces.
- Serves 6 as main dish or 12 as side dish.