Recipe by Charmie777
Couscous gets it's beginnings in North Africa, and this salad is a great introduction it! Great for summer eating!
Top Review by PaulaG
I actually made this for to take for lunch today. The salad was served cold on top of shredded romaine instead of the spinach. It was light and very refreshing. The flavors blended nicely.
- 15 1⁄4 ounces tropical fruit salad
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 10 ounces white chicken meat, drained (or leftover chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup diced mango
- 1⁄2 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 12 large fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain liquid from fruit salad and reserve.
- In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup reserved fruit juices, cornstarch, gingerroot and vinegar; blend well with wire whisk.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Refrigerate to cool slightly.
- Add water to the remaining fruit juices to make 1-1/2 cups; place in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. STir in couscous. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate 10-15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine fruit salad, chicken, mango and grapes. Add slightly cooled dressing; toss gently to coat.
- Line serving platter with spinach leaves.
- Spoon cooled couscous evenly over spinach.
- Top with fruit and chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with coconut, if using.