Couscous gets it's beginnings in North Africa, and this salad is a great introduction it! Great for summer eating!
- 15 1⁄4 ounces tropical fruit salad
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 10 ounces white chicken meat, drained (or leftover chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup diced mango
- 1⁄2 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 12 large fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut, if desired
- Drain liquid from fruit salad and reserve.
- In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup reserved fruit juices, cornstarch, gingerroot and vinegar; blend well with wire whisk.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Refrigerate to cool slightly.
- Add water to the remaining fruit juices to make 1-1/2 cups; place in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. STir in couscous. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate 10-15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine fruit salad, chicken, mango and grapes. Add slightly cooled dressing; toss gently to coat.
- Line serving platter with spinach leaves.
- Spoon cooled couscous evenly over spinach.
- Top with fruit and chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with coconut, if using.