Recipe by Misslazy
This is very much like a carrot cake, but I think it is much better - moist and delicious. Though if you prefer, you can add carrots instead of the courgettes.
Top Review by adirob
Initially I thought that this cake was a little short on sweetness. With the icing on top it just about manages since it is so lovely and moist. I would add more honey and more vanilla if I was to make it again.
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons clear honey
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 175 g courgettes, grated
- 1 dash butter, for greasing
- 40 g cream cheese, for the icing
- 1 tablespoon butter, for the icing
- 170 g icing sugar, sifted, for the icing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence, for the icing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Whisk together the oil, eggs and honey in a bowl, until well combined.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, vanilla essence and grated courgette and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm/9in cake tin and put in the oven for one hour until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and remove from the tin when cool.
- For the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the sifted icing sugar and vanilla essence and stir until combined.
- When the cake is cool, using spatula or flat knife, spread the icing across the cake.