Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
Another favourite of mine from Alison & Simons Holst's "Meals without Meat". A moist delicious take on the traditional chocolate cake.
Top Review by Noo
I thought that I may have trouble getting the peskies (aged 6 and 8) to eat it when they spotted the green flecks of zucchini ( despite the fact that I grated them on my microplane to get them ultra fine!)...but when I owned up to the fact that it was zucchini, they just shrugged and said that they couldn't taste it...phew!<br/>A deliciously moist and tasty cake, and with added veggies I don't feel quite so bad about eating that second slice!!<br/>Made for AUS/NZ RECIPE SWAP#76.
- 125 g butter
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 591.47 ml flour
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- 59.14 ml cocoa
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml mixed spice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 350 g courgettes, grated
- 118.29 ml chocolate piece
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare 25cm square cake tin by lining with strips of baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugars until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent the mixture curdling.
- Add the vanilla and yoghurt and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into mixture with the grated courgette.
- Turn into prepared cake tin. Sprinkle surface with chocolate pieces if desired.
- Bake at 170 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes or until the centre feels firm and the skewer comes out clean.