Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another favourite of mine from Alison & Simons Holst's "Meals without Meat". A moist delicious take on the traditional chocolate cake.
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 350 g courgettes, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate piece
- Prepare 25cm square cake tin by lining with strips of baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugars until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent the mixture curdling.
- Add the vanilla and yoghurt and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into mixture with the grated courgette.
- Turn into prepared cake tin. Sprinkle surface with chocolate pieces if desired.
- Bake at 170 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes or until the centre feels firm and the skewer comes out clean.
I thought that I may have trouble getting the peskies (aged 6 and 8) to eat it when they spotted the green flecks of zucchini ( despite the fact that I grated them on my microplane to get them ultra fine!)...but when I owned up to the fact that it was zucchini, they just shrugged and said that they couldn't taste it...phew!<br/>A deliciously moist and tasty cake, and with added veggies I don't feel quite so bad about eating that second slice!!<br/>Made for AUS/NZ RECIPE SWAP#76.
So after using this recipe literally about twenty times I decided to register for a recipezaar account just so that I can review it... I LOVE THIS RECIPE! It is so moist and flavourful. I'm not really a fan of chocolate cake so I tend to make it without the cocoa, making it a Courgette AND Chocolate cake, and adding a tablespoon of icing sugar to compensate for the loss of 1/4 cup of dry ingredients. It does make it slightly sweeter, but because I like 72% chocolate chopped up in this cake it more than counteracts the icing sugar. I also use 2tsp mixed spice, and 2tsp vanilla because Iove them! And I top with a LOT of cream cheese icing because really, cake is just an excuse to eat icing!
A great tasting cake enjoyed by all of us tonight. I also sprinkled the chocolate pieces on top, never had a cake with zucchini in it., what a nice different change. Came out beatuful, and we cooked it for 45 minutes as stated. No adjustments were made here, and I dont see any adjustments for this at all. A definate keeper. Made for Auz/nz swap #30.