Recipe by Manami
Found this recipe on bbcgoodfood.com and haven't tried it as yet. However, I am always on the look-out for rice recipes and this one is very interesting.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb courgette, sliced on a diagonal
- 4 slices smoked back bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 7 1⁄8 ounces arborio rice or 7 1⁄8 ounces risotto rice
- 5 1⁄8 ounces dry white wine
- 3 5⁄8 cups hot vegetable stock (made with bouillion powder)
- 5 5⁄8 ounces brie cheese (without rind)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy saucepan, tip in the courgettes and fry for 10-12 minutes until tinged golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the bacon, onion and garlic.
- Cook over a low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until softened and lightly golden.
- Add the rice and stir until all the grains are covered.
- Take saucepan off the heat & pour in the wine until it absorbs into the rice.
- Stir well, then pour in about one third of the hot stock and increase the heat to moderate.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the stock is absorbed.
- Repeat with the remaining stock, in two batches.
- This should take about 20 minutes, and the rice should be tender.
- Preheat the grill on its highest setting.
- Remove the rice from the heat, gently fold in the courgettes and season to taste.
- Tip everything into a big flameproof dish.
- Slice the brie and lay on top of the rice.
- Put the dish under the hot grill for 3-4 minutes until the brie is bubbling.
- Serve at once.