Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
From a great little Vegetarian restaurant in London called Carnevale. Once you have made the ricotta base you can sub many different vegetables for variety.
For the dressing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 plum tomatoes, skinned and deseeded
For the fritters
- 4 courgettes, grated
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g vegetarian parmesan cheese, grated
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- oil (for deep frying)
- Chop the tomatoes and place in a bowl with the other ingredients and leave to stand.
- Mix together the courgettes and salt and leave to stand for 30 minutes Rinse well and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Beat together the egg, courgette, ricotta and rosemary. Add the parmesan and mix to a wet but workable dough.
- Mix together the flour and herbs and form the dough into 8 patties. Dredge in the flour.
- Heat the oil and fry the fritters for 4 mins each side and drain. Serve with the tomato and saffron sauce.