Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We head to the US for the county fair every summer, and this is one of reasons why. The kids tell me that our house smells like the fair when we make these.
- 12 frozen dinner rolls
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Place frozen rolls on a greased cookie sheet.
- Let rise until nearly double.
- In the meantime, brown the ground beef, drain, add taco mix and 1/4 cup water.
- Heat about 2" cooking oil in skillet or frying pan.
- Stretch the dough quite thin, fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Top each taco with seasoned meat mixture, layer with lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.
- You may garnish with black olives, taco sauce and sour cream.
These are also called Indian fry bread tacos. They can be made vegetarian by replacing the ground beef with one 15oz. can chili beans or pinto beans.Simply drain most of the liquid add a little oleo, butter, or vegetable shortening and taco seasoning mix and heat until hot. Then proceed with step 7, when bread is done frying. This fry bread can also be made sweet, into what the US county fairs call Elephant Ears. Follow Steps 18.104.22.168.and 6. Then sprinkle with Confectioners sugar(icing sugar) or Confectioners sugar AND Hersheys chocolate syrup.(syrup for making chocolate milk) Talk about something deep fried and smothered in chocolate!
Our church youth group sells these all the time for fundraisers and they are always a hit! One hint is to poke a small hole (with your finger) in the center of the flattened dough before frying it. It helps it to fry completely and not get a big bubble in the middle. We also use plenty of onions on ours as well as garlic in the meat too. Thanks, Chef Dee for posting this recipe!
Awesome!!! I used some refried beans too!