Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm not sure where I picked this up but it won 1st prize at a county fair.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Combine chocolate, 1/2 cup milk, the well-beaten egg, and 2/3 cup sugar in saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Stir shortening to soften. Gradually add 1 cup sugar and cream together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add remaining eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift flour, soda, and salt together 3 times. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with 2/3 cup milk, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth. Blend in chocolate mixture.
- Bake in 2 paper-lined 9x12 inch round pans in moderate oven at 350 degrees, 25-30 minutes.