1/1 Photo of County Fair Banana Cream Pie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the crust: Chop pecans very fine,preferably in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- 2Place in bowl with other crust ingredients and mix until well blended.
- 3Divide in half and press into the bottom of 2 pie pans.
- 4Chill 30 minutes.
- 5Bake the pie crusts for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 6Cool completely.
- 7For chocolate layer: Melt chocolate with butter and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler set over hot,not boiling water.
- 8Stir frequently.
- 9Remove from heat and cool,then stir in vanilla.
- 10Divide between cooked pie crusts and spread evenly.
- 11For Filling: Heat milk in a medium size saucepan over medium heat to scald.
- 12Beat the egg yolks and gradually add sugar.
- 13Then beat in flour.
- 14Gradually stir in hot milk.
- 15Transfer to medium saucepan and cook,stirring constantly over medium high heat (use a whisk). The mixture will lump as it begins to thicken.
- 16Bring the mixture to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 17Remove from the pan from heat and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth.
- 18Then, beat in butter and optional rum.
- 19Cool to room temperature.
- 20Peel the bananas, slice very thin and toss with lemon juice.
- 21Whip 1 cup of the cream until it is firm but not stiff.
- 22Mix about 1/4 of the cream into the cooled egg mixture to lighten it, then fold the remaining cream and bananas into egg mixture.
- 23Fill the pastry shells with banana cream and smooth to even.
- 24Beat remaining cream until stiff.
- 25Spoon around edge of the pies and sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for County Fair Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 843.1
- Calories from Fat 546
- Total Fat 60.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 206.3 mg
- Sodium 147.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 36.5 g
- Protein 9.1 g