Top Review by jill72
This pie was really really tasty. I made the crust a bit too thick so the balance of the three layers was a little off but the chocolate layer was the winning factor for me! I would definitely make this pie again. Thanks for the winning recipie!
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 bananas
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pecans, Chopped (optional)
- For the crust: Chop pecans very fine,preferably in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Place in bowl with other crust ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Divide in half and press into the bottom of 2 pie pans.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Bake the pie crusts for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool completely.
- For chocolate layer: Melt chocolate with butter and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler set over hot,not boiling water.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and cool,then stir in vanilla.
- Divide between cooked pie crusts and spread evenly.
- For Filling: Heat milk in a medium size saucepan over medium heat to scald.
- Beat the egg yolks and gradually add sugar.
- Then beat in flour.
- Gradually stir in hot milk.
- Transfer to medium saucepan and cook,stirring constantly over medium high heat (use a whisk). The mixture will lump as it begins to thicken.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the pan from heat and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Then, beat in butter and optional rum.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Peel the bananas, slice very thin and toss with lemon juice.
- Whip 1 cup of the cream until it is firm but not stiff.
- Mix about 1/4 of the cream into the cooled egg mixture to lighten it, then fold the remaining cream and bananas into egg mixture.
- Fill the pastry shells with banana cream and smooth to even.
- Beat remaining cream until stiff.
- Spoon around edge of the pies and sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired.