Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a fantastic bread recipe reminds me of being at grandma's for the weekend.
- 1 cup water (lukewarm 110 - 115F)
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temp.)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 5 -6 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Mix together water, buttermilk and oil.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix with a wooden spoon till smooth.
- Add sugar and eggs stir together till smooth.
- Mix in the salt.
- Then stir in yeast.
- Allow to sit uncovered for 15 minutes. Then add flour a 1/2 cup at a time. Stir till it becomes to hard to mix. Place some flour onto the counter and continue to slowly add remaining flour till the dough is just a little bit sticky (note you may not need all the flour).
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes till smooth and elastic (stand mixer 5-6 minutes with a dough hook). Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl.
- Spray the top of the dough with an oil spray. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Pour out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut dough in half and degas the dough.
- Shape dough into 2 rectangles the length of a 5x9 loaf pan. Roll the dough like a jelly roll being sure to lightly press with each rotation of the dough. Pinch the seam closed with your fingers.
- Place into two greased 5x9 loaf pans. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise till double in bulk about 45-60 minutes.
- After the dough has proofed, make egg wash and brush the tops of the loaves. Wait 5 minutes then brush again.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. If you place a thermometer into the center of the loaf it should register between 180 degrees or when you tap the bottom of the loaf it sounds hollow.
- Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
Absolutely delicious! This is a "MUST MAKE" recipe that I chose because of its wholesome ingredients. It has a delicate sweetness and is easy to make even for the beginner. FYI, I baked it in my toaster oven. With a taste that is out of this world why rate it 5 stars when it deserves a 10!