Recipe by startnover
This is my favorite bread recipe (for white bread) It makes wonderful bread bowls for soup. This makes 4 loaves but can easily be halved. I've made half of it into loaves and half into breadbowls too.
Top Review by krissyburjan
Pretty darn good. I quite enjoyed this bread and it seemed pretty idiot proof. I halved it and tossed it into two large loaf pans. It made lovely sandwiches. Very soft and tender bread. I think the idea of raisins and cinnamon would absolutely ROCK with this. I plan on trying it like that next week. I plan on making two batches tomorrow and freezing after the first rise. This way I can pull it out and let it thaw/second rise and have fresh bread for holiday company!
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup powdered milk (instant)
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup mashed potatoes (I use instant ,or you can sub with 1 egg if you'd rather)
- 10 -12 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir milk powder and hot water together till well mixed.
- Add cold water and now it should be cool enough for yeast, add yeast.
- Then add sugar, salt, shortening, and potatoes one at a time.
- Add flour 2 cups at a time till you get a soft but not sticky dough (you may not need all the flour).
- Mix well or knead for about 5 minutes or till elastic.
- Place in a bowl that has been lightly sprayed with pan spray and cover with a towel and let rise 1-1/2 hrs or till doubled.
- Punch down let rise 1 hours.
- Punch down and divide into 4 loaves or bread bowls or whatever.
- Place in greased pans or on a greased cookie sheet.
- Let rise 1/2 hr and bakein 325 oven for 30 min or till bottom sounds hollow when thumped.
- For raisin bread add 1 cup of raisins mixed with 1-2 t cinnamon per loaf, it makes great toast! My mother always "plumped" the raisins by soaking them or boiling them for a few minutes first.