1/3 Photos of Country White Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
This is my favorite bread recipe (for white bread) It makes wonderful bread bowls for soup. This makes 4 loaves but can easily be halved. I've made half of it into loaves and half into breadbowls too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir milk powder and hot water together till well mixed.
- 2Add cold water and now it should be cool enough for yeast, add yeast.
- 3Then add sugar, salt, shortening, and potatoes one at a time.
- 4Add flour 2 cups at a time till you get a soft but not sticky dough (you may not need all the flour).
- 5Mix well or knead for about 5 minutes or till elastic.
- 6Place in a bowl that has been lightly sprayed with pan spray and cover with a towel and let rise 1-1/2 hrs or till doubled.
- 7Punch down let rise 1 hours.
- 8Punch down and divide into 4 loaves or bread bowls or whatever.
- 9Place in greased pans or on a greased cookie sheet.
- 10Let rise 1/2 hr and bakein 325 oven for 30 min or till bottom sounds hollow when thumped.
- 11For raisin bread add 1 cup of raisins mixed with 1-2 t cinnamon per loaf, it makes great toast! My mother always "plumped" the raisins by soaking them or boiling them for a few minutes first.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2682 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1592.4
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 2566.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 284.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 43.8 g