Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very good served with sausages for a brunch or as a simple supper dish with a pretty green salad.
- 2 -3 large tomatoes
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells, baked
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4-1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Peel tomatoes by dipping in boiling water for 10 seconds or so to split skins.
- Thickly slice tomatoes, then layer in baked and cooled pie shell, sprinkling each layer with green onions, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine mayonnaise and cheese and spread over tomatoes.
- Bake 30 minutes.
Really good - the fresh basil is a lovely touch! I was worried that the pie might turn out soggy since the tomatoes weren't seeded but it didn't, it sliced beautifully. Next time I'll use less mayonnaise (only because I don't care for it too much!) and maybe try layering some of the cheese too. Thanks for the recipe, MarieAlice!