Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
These taters are browned till crispy--j ust the way I love them.
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chop fine)
- 3 cups potatoes (peel and dice fine)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Using 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease, in an iron skillet or a heavy skillet, sauté green onion till tender but not brown.
- Put potatoes in a large bowl; add flour, salt and pepper. Stir till mixed well.
- Add onions and milk and mix till combined well.
- Heat remaining bacon grease in the skillet you sautéed the onions inches.
- Pour potato mixture into skillet and using a pancake turner, press the potatoes down firmly all around pan till all potatoes are evenly distributed and firmly pressed down.
- Cooking on low heat, cook till browned lightly(about 20 minutes); turn and cook till browned on other side.
- When crispy and brown, remove to platter and serve hot.
I rate these a 5 on taste, but a 3 on preparation. After I flattened the potatoes and got the first side cooked, I wondered, "How am I going to flip this thing?" There was a good bit of bacon grease still in the skillet, which I didn't want to splatter everywhere when I flipped it. I drained off the grease into a bowl, inverted a dinner plate over the skillet, turned the skillet upside-down so the potatoes were now on the plate, then poured the grease back into the skillet, and slid the potatoes off the plate back into the skillet. Will definitely reduce the salt next time as they were rather salty. Thanks for posting! Made for 2008 All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag.
Tried this over the weekend and they turned out perfect---Thanks.
your recipes are great thanks for the stars these are easy to make like alot of your recipes people should look at your site