Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great accompanied by buttered corn muffins and a salad Can't recall where I got this tho.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon or 1⁄2 lb salt pork
- 2 lbs venison steak
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups water or 6 cups beef stock
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, in 1 inch cubes
- 12 small white onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- salt and pepper
- Cut bacon into 1" cubes and saute in large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cut venison into 1 1/2 or 2" pieces and brown over high heat in 4 T bacon drippings.
- Stir in flour.
- Lower heat and let brown 2-3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add liquid and let it simmer 1 hour or more until venison begins to get tender, add more liquid as necessary.
- Add all the other ingredients, except peas, and continue to simmer to make a thick stew.
- Simmer peas in a separate pan until done.
- Strain and spoon over or around stew when served.
- Great accompanied by buttered corn muffins and a salad.
The bacon in this really gave the stew a great flavor. I changed the flour to 1/4 cup because my DH likes his stew really thick. Instead of the tomato, I added 1/2 can of corn and in place of the 12 small onions I added 3 turnips, cut into 1 inch cubes and 1 small onion, chopped. Along with 2 bay leaves and 1/2 tsp garlic powder, I think the seasoning was great. Thanks so much for helping me make dinner.