Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 35 mins
Tender, juicy, melt in your mouth pork ribs, sauerkraut, potatoes... a meal fit for the heartiest of appetites and easy enough for the first-time dutch oven user.
- 3 lbs country-style pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 lb polska kielbasa, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (1lb if 6 Qt dutch oven)
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 lb swiss chard, shredded
- Place ribs in 6 quart or larger dutch oven with enough water to cover. Stir in garlic powder. Cover and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim foam from top. Add potatoes and onions. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add sausage, sauerkraut (for 6 quart use 1 lb sauerkraut, can increase to 2 lb if you have a 9.5Qt dutch oven), carrots, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes (until carrots are tender-crisp).
- Stir in chard (may substitute Bok-Choy, mustard greens, beet greens -- ). Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve in large soup bowls.