Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe comes from an October 1986 issue of Bon Appetit. It appeared in a feature on "The Heart of Venice" and is the special house pasta at Da Ivo. Draining time for eggplant is not included in prep time.
- 2 (1 lb) eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled seded and finely chopped tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 small dried hot red chili pepper
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup torn fresh basil
Italian Bechamel Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth, heated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices; arrange in colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Let drain 45 minutes, pat dry with paper towels, then dice eggplants finely.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over low heat.
- Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Add parsley and stir 30 seconds.
- Add eggplant,tomatoes,bell pepper and onions and cook until slightly softened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until vegetables are tender and all liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in olives, capers and chili; cook 3 minutes; remove chili.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite; drain well and mix into sauce.
- Stir in bechamel and heat through.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
- Italian Bechamel Sauce:.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour and stir 3 minutes.
- Whisk in broth and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove sauce from heat.
- Beat yolk and cheese to blend in small bowl; gradually stir in 1/4 cup sauce.
- Return mixture to saucepan and whisk until smooth.
- Place plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin from forming.