I have been making this recipe since my son was small, it's also great made with rotini (corkscrew) pasta ---prep time does not include cooking the macaroni, you may omit the breadcrumb topping if desired.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (yellow OR Dijon)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- For topping; in a bowl combine the breadcrumbs with melted butter; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the macaroni until firm-tender; drain, and add the Velveeta cheese, stir well; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter, add flour; stir well.
- Add in the milk or half and half, mustard, cream cheese, salt and pepper, then stir until cream cheese is thoroughly combined and melted.
- Add in parsley then pour over macaroni mixture.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Top with 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs mixed with 2 Tbsp melted butter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until top is a light golden brown.
Wow - I have never even liked Macaroni and Cheese _ I made this for my granddaughters (ages 6, 9 and 18) when they visited. They decided it was the best they had ever had (and these girls are mac and cheese afficiandos) and I loved it too - very creamy and rich. I had to make it again the next night for them! Kittencal - you are my hero - no kidding - every one of your recipes I have tried has been perfection! thank you so much for your generousity in sharing your fabulous recipes.
Another delicious recipe from Kittencal! This was so creamy and yummy! I was looking for a recipe for mac and cheese that contained cream cheese, to try and copy a dish that I tasted at a potluck dinner...this was perfect! I don't really like a lot of breadcrumbs, so I probably only used about a 1/5th of what it called for, and I left out the parsley by accident. Yum!!!
The phrase that comes to mind is Kick A$$!!! Can I say that? This recipe is rediculously good. I'll definately be making it again. I didn't use the bread crumb topping and I upped the macaroni to 2 cups (which was fine, there's more then enough sauce for it!) Keeper keeper keeper. Thanks Kitten!