Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted in reply to a request.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless lamb shoulder, cut into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup stock or 1 cup water
- In a large frying pan, add oil and butter, and brown meat slowly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the anchovies, garlic, fennel seeds, lemon peel and vinegar.
- When meat is well browned, pour off some of the fat, add salt, pepper, and pour the anchovy mixture over the meat.
- Mix well and continue cooking until vinegar is almost all evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over meat, stirring to blend well.
- Add stock (or water), stir until very well mixed.
- Continue cooking for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve as is or over pasta.