I came up with this quick and hearty dish because I find traditional gumbo too spicy. Even kids will eat this one, and it is very heartwarming on a cold night. Complete proteins, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quick frozen chicken breasts
- 12 inches Polish sausage or 2 kielbasa, sliced into coins
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup dry navy beans
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, remove kernels
- 8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic (2 cloves if using fresh)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Cut kernels from corn.
- 2Place beans, sausage, frozen chicken, onions, carrots, corn cobs, water and olive oil in pressure cooker (keep kernels, bouillon, garlic and spices to add after cooking).
- 3Cover pressure cooker and bring to full pressure.
- 4Cook 20 minutes on full pressure.
- 5After this time, turn heat off and let the pressure cooker cool down on it's own for another 15 minutes.
- 6Then, slowly release steam or put pot in cold water until it is safe to remove the lid.
- 7Once open, remove cobs and chicken breasts.
- 8Throw cobs away and pull apart the chicken into bite-sized chunks with a fork.
- 9Return chicken to pot.
- 10Add remaining ingredients and bring the pot to a boil.
- 11Spice to taste with cracked pepper, red pepper flakes and a pinch of oregano-- or whatever you prefer.
- 12The soup is best left simple.
- 13A few dashes of Cavender's Greek Seasoning is a good finishing touch.
- 14Remember that the bouillon cubes will be salty, so do not add additional salt until they are fully dissolved.
- 15Let the gumbo reduce until sauce is semi-thick, corn will stay sweet and crunchy.
- 16It will become thicker when cooled.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country-Style Gumbo (Pressure Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.9
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 34.9 mg
- Sodium 394.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: